Monday 5 January 2015

Born Pretty Store Review - Black Nail Art Pen

*Disclaimer: this item was received for review. All opinions stated are my own and are not influenced by anyone or anything.


Hi everyone!

For my first post of 2015 I have a Born Pretty Store review for you all.

I got a black nail art pen to review - now, what did I think of it? ;)

I made a design with Sinful Colors Mauve and with Maybelline's Tropink. I then used the nail art pen to draw some tribal designs and some doodles.


I'm not sure what the fluid inside the pen atually is, but it's not nail polish. On the BPS website, they say it has a water-based formula and is Toluene, DBP, and Formaldehyde free.

Drawing with the nail art pen went easy: you first have to pump up the fluid that is in the pen, by shaking it. Then you have to press in the tip of the pen a few times. And after that, you can just draw with it! You don't need to squeeze the pen while drawing with it, which is so so handy. 

What I also loved, is that when you make a mistake, you can wipe it off with a wet paper towel or something, very handy! You do have to wipe it off immediately after you made the mistake and can't wait a few minutes because otherwise you will still see a black little smudge where you wiped it off.


Please excuse the smudge on my middle finger: my hair decided to declare war against me by falling into my still wet polish.
You do have to be careful for one thing: make sure the polish you used as a base is completely dry before you start drawing stuff with the pen! Otherwise, it will drag your polish and create a mess.
Also, when you top coat it, make sure the fluid of the pen is completely dry: I waited for about 30 minutes to be safe, because otherwise your top coat will drag the fluid away.

 Here you can see the tip of the pen: it's a small tip, and you can create quite fine lines with it. The fluid inside that white plastic thingy on the tip doesn't dry out btw.


What I wouldn't suggest doing with the pen, is trying to draw long straight lines accross your nail: a striping brush is still best suited for that purpose. But when you want to draw some shapes or doodles, the pen is perfect!

I had a lot of fun whilst drawing with it, because it's a bit like drawing on your nails with a permanent marker or something, like you did when you were a kid :D

The big plus for me was that I didn't have to do and dip my brush into more polish or acrylic paint, but I could just go on painting all the time. I did all the nails on my left hand in 15 minutes!


Soooo, all in all:

Price?: This nail art pen costs $5.99. The nail art pen exists in 16 colours and contains 7ml fluid.


Where can you get it?: You can find the nail art pen here on Born Pretty Store.

Discount?: Yes! I have a discount code for you! Enter XDX31 and you will get 10% off on all your orders!



The final verdict: I was quite happy with this item. It has several really good features: you don't have to squeeze it while using it, it has quite a fine tip, doesn't smell odd, and you can wipe it off if you made a mistake. I wouldn't use the pen to draw straight lines, but it's great fun for a tribal design or some doodles on your nails!

What do you think of this nail art pen? Have you used a nail art pen like this already?

Thanks for reading!:)


19 comments:

  1. very beautiful mani and great review dear Robin :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like it's really good and I like what you've done with it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ananka! It was a lot of fun doing doodles with it! :)

      Delete
  3. We love these! That Maybelline shade was one of our ultimate faves last year and it looks so good with the mauvey grey. Love the design but know what you mean about having to have a dry base - the amount of times we have ruined a mani by being impatient! Emma & Jo.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I love the pink and mauve combination a lot too! Normally I'm not good at combining colours lol :) Ugh yeah I totally ruined my base when I first tried this pen, so I now know to be patient!

      Delete
  4. Lovely :) The pen really seems handy. Great pink btw :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It really is handy, so fun to just doodle on your nails a bit :)

      Delete
  5. Ik herinner mij opeens een pen die ik hier heb liggen... een acrylverf pen! Was ik die even vergeten. Je nail art is super, zo vrolijk! Doodlen kan je wel :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, leuk dat ik je eraan doe denken!! Dankjewel Miriam :)

      Delete
  6. This is a great review! I've been meaning to try one of these pens out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really wanted to try it out too, it looked great but sometimes pens aren't handy because you have to squeeze them or whatever while painting. I'm glad this one wasn't like that!

      Delete
  7. I wished I could free hand to use this pen! It would be so easy! But I've always been the worst in designing, even back when I was a kid at school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, maybe you are underestimating yourself!! I don't think I can draw very good either but things like doodles and triangles work out quite well :)

      Delete
  8. I recently used a DVD-Marker for some very fine lines, but the prob was that my top coat smudged the lines really bad, so this looks like a good alternative!
    Have you tried the Essence - Tattoo pen? It seems like a sister to the BPS product.
    Unfortunately I can't order from BPS, but I like reading your reviews.
    Very cute nail art BTW! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't tried that Essence pen yet! I saw it in the stores but wasn't sure if it would be any good. If you ever feel like ordering stuff from BPS, feel free to ask me if you can order through me, and I can forward the items to you if you'd like ;) Thanks Franzi!

      Delete
  9. Wow this nail art pen works so well - you've managed to do such a detailed design with this! I love the colour combination too! I think this is the perfect pen for tribal designs! It's great that you can wipe the pen off it you've made a mistake too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayna! I could have done some more detailed stuff if I had spent a bit more time and effort on it, but I loved how fast you could draw with the pen so I decided to do something quick :)

      Delete
  10. This pen is on the way to me:) I am very curious if I will manage to make at least such a pretty mani like yours with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh how fun!! I look forward to seeing what you do with it! :D

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Definitely leave a comment with your thoughts, and if you have any questions, ask away! I always reply so check back :)
Please don't leave links in your comment unless they are related to my blog post. If you're new on my blog, I always come and check out yours :)